Nappy to Curly

When someone says I have good hair,
I say, "Thank you", but inside I'm laughing. I know my hair is nappy. I also know that nappy hair is curly hair, waiting to be moisturized.
Water is the number one hair product you should use.
Dirty hair grows?
No sweetheart, dirty hair is gross.
Washing your hair and deep conditioning your hair should be done weekly, allowing your hair to be hydrated weekly.
Two weeks at the most.
I co-wash my hair every Sunday then follow with an ACV (apple cyder vinegar) rinse and a deep conditioner. Once or twice a month, depending on how my hair feels, I will wash with a clay. After the clay, I again ACV rinse. I always deep condition after each wash.
African hair Needs moisture. Moisture equates to water. If you are using a moisturizer that does not have water as the first ingredient, it is not a moisturizer.   
Grease does not moisturize your hair. Oils do not moisturize your hair.
There are some natural oils that have the ability to penetrate through the hair shaft and provide moisture. (i.e. coconut oil, babassu oil, avocado oil)  
Oil that does not penetrate the hair shaft should not be used as a moisturizer, but rather used as sealants.
The L.O.C. Method is the only way I was able to keep my hair moisturized. The LOC method is a basic method to put moisture in your hair, then lock in that moisture.
We all know water evaporates, right? So if you are only adding water or moisturizer to your hair , the end result is Dry Hair.
When applying moisture to your hair. You must follow through with a sealant to lock that moisture in.
L. Liquid. I use my own leave in conditioner by filling a spray bottle up with 80% good old H2O, a quarter size of conditioner (conditioner of choice), then I add few drops of my oil mix.
O. Oil. My oil mix is a oil application bottle filled with my favorite oils. Olive oil, Jamaican Black Castor oil, Alma oil, peppermint oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil.
C. Cream Here is where my product junkie came do play. I used a lit of conditioners. It's like searching for that perfect love. I feel in love with Shea moisture. Yea all of the Shea moisture line. Lately I went back to my homemade Shea butter mix.
With the LOC method, I would advise you to play around with it. Some have found by switching the steps to the LCO, provides better moisture for their hair. I prefer what call the LCOC, where I use my spray, apply conditioner, my oil mix, the my Shea butter mix to seal everything in.
I moisturize my hair everyday, or every other day. Over time, the more you moisturize your hair properly, you will notice your hair texture change. Your hair will retain moisture and it will not dry out becoming fragile. You will see less breakage and retain more length.

Comments