Miss Protective.

Protective styling  makes it easy to retain length. Because I am trying to grow my hair out, my hair is in a protective style at least 80% of a month. If you are someone seeking longer, healthier hair, you might want to add more protective styles to your hair care routine.

Q. What are protective styles?
A. Protective styles are considered styles that keep the ends of your hair up and tucked away. Allow the ends to retain moisture and protecting the ends from being pulled, tugged or caught up in clothing or tangling up together.

Protective styles can be as simple as buns, twist, braids or cornrows. As long as the ends of your hair are up and out of sight, most likely, you are good to go.
When people think about growing out their hair, a lot of serums and do-gro, magic-go fast-go hair products are sought after. You think, let me rub this on my scalp and it will make my hair grow out. WRONG.
Yes, we all know our hair grows from our scalp. On an average, hair grows anywhere between .25 to 1 inch per month. 

To see real length retention with your hair growth, you must protective the ends.

The ends of our hair are the oldest parts of our hair strands. They are the most vulnerable part and easily broken. When the ends of your hair break off, you are not retaining length or reaching length you desire. There for the ends of your hair should be handled gently with extra TLC. The ends of our hair is what actually determines length retention. 
True protective styling can be less glamorous to some, but understanding the importance of protective styling will help you along your hair journey. Especially if your goal is to retain longer length.
I like to keep my hair simple. Wash day comes, I apply a protective style that will last  until the next wash day. Please note, if your ends are not moisturized protective styles are pointless. The point of a protective style is to protect your ends and allow your ends to maintain moisture.
There are some cases where I like to give my hair a break. In those cases I prefer protective styles that last longer than a week. Styling possibilities are endless, even for someone like me, who prefers not to wear hair weaves or extensions.


Hair weaves and extensions are a go-to protective styles for many people. The problem with that is most of the styling that comes with weaves and extensions aren't that protective at all. Most weaves are put in too tight. There is an old saying  "If it's not tight, It's not right!" That obviously couldn't be more wrong. Pulling your hair too tightly for weaves, braids or any type of styling can be a quick route to Traction Alopecia and can causing more damage than adding protection.  Some of that damage can in fact become permanent damage.
Another issue with using hair weaves for a protective styling, the styles are left in too long which causes your hair to be neglected, dry and brittle. The simple take down of weaves and extensions, if not done properly and with plenty of patience can also cause unnecessary damage.You ever notice when you have braids or hair weaves, how much new growth you have. Then when you take your hair out, it sheds massively and you realize your hair doesn't seem that much longer after all.
Your hair will grow in extensions and weaves but that length is hard to actually retain because your hair was neglected. You weren't able to moisturize and seal daily, nor was the shed hair able to slip off. So when taking down the protective style, you are left with dry brittle hair and tons of shed hair matted and tangled in your hair. The take down of weaves and extensions, if not done properly and with plenty of patience can also cause unnecessary damage.

Q. Can I use weaves as a protective style?
A. Yes. Only if installed properly and taken down properly.

If you must use a weave as a protective style, I would advise wearing a well fitted wig. Not glued or sewed in wigs, but the wigs you remove from your head daily. That allows you to be able to moisturize your hair daily and you can still wash your hair often enough as well as deep condition. Be Careful, if a wig is causing too much tension around your edges, it can also lead to Traction Alopecia.

Any style that can potentially cause damage to your hair or scalp, can not be considered a protective style! 

Try wearing protective styles properly for two months and let me know the difference you see in your hairs overall health. And yes, feel free to thank me later.



Week One

 This is a protective style I posted on Instagram. If you do not follow me, please do so @nappyheadShelly. I wanted to give my hair a break by applying a longer lasting protective style to my hair. I  cornrowed my hair down on the side and mini-twist the remaining hair. For Week two, I applied Bantu knots to my twist to add curls and volume. Your protective styles doesn't have to be boring! 

Week Two

Comments