Why No Weaves?

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Every time someone ask, "Why no weaves?" I have different answers. I don't lie about it or try to sugar coat anything. The environment at the time of questioning, is the only factor in my response. Although I have recently realize, given the sensitivity of this Weave topic in the Black community, I should try to soften up my responses.
Sounds really good!
From an economic view, did you know the average African American household income is only $35.418? Did you also know Black women come in at the bottom with averaging an income of $608 per week?**  So how is it we have a group who only generates roughly under $30,000 per year, yet are the number one consumer in the Weave industry banking well over $600 million dollars a year? Those numbers alone should scare you away. I simply don't see how I, as a black African American female, can afford weave.
The most dangerous response of all, the answer that tends to get me in trouble. Self Hate.
I know you love yourself, OK? Like I get it. In your own little mind you are Beyonce.
At this point you might not be able to fully grasp this but please, stay with me.
Our race is the Only race in which our little girls are train to Hate their own God given natural hair. If you do not see the issue with an entire Race of people who manipulate or hide their natural hair texture to feel Accepted, then you need to open your eyes. We were taught to put grease on our hair, which does nothing beneficial. It only gives weight to lay our hair and clog our pores so our hair growth is stunted. We are taught that we should put a perm in our hair to make our hair appear straight, while burning our scalps and chemically damaging our hair strands. Then we are taught to wear weaves because our hair doesn't grow long, while the weaves pull out our hair and cause traction alopecia.
All the things we are taught to do with our hair, is damaging to our hair. We aren't taught to love our hair or give it the water and nutrients it really needs. We were not taught the proper hair care techniques for our African hair.  Thus without our knowledge, we are taught and continue to practice Self Hate with our natural hair.
I don't wear weaves because I educated myself on African hair textures and basic common sense.
Once you have educated yourself on your African hair type, the first thing you learn is the importance of moisture. Our hair needs moisture to flourish. The only way to completely moisturize anything is to add water. You also learn the major impact deep conditioning on a weekly basis has on African textured hair.
In knowing just those two things alone, I knew that weaves were a no go. The common sense factor comes in play with the knowledge. I know I have to make sure my hair is moisturize and that I am deep conditioning, how can I do this consistently if my hair is consistently sewed with weaves or covered with weaves?
I knew that in order for my hair to grow and thrive at it's highest potential, I would have to learn my hair and deal with my hair on a day to day basics.
In doing this I have gained much more than healthy hair, I'll have gained a deep Self Love.

Comments