Is that an Afro?

 
The human mind never seems to amaze me. In particularly, my own. One day it just hits me, you have an Afro!
You can twist it. You can bun it up. You can braid it. Cornrow it down, or You can roll it back. You can tuck it. You can add product to weight it down or even define it. You can bantu knot it or curl form roll it. At the end of the day, it's still a Fro.
For me, understanding that fact was a pivotal moment. Once you understand what you have, you learn to appreciate it.
 
Along with proper hair care, there is proper hair styling. Proper high styling would be to handle your hair with care, don't pull and tug your hair too tight. (remember how much it easily breaks). Minimize the use of hair tools (combs and brushes) Minimize the use of heating tools. ( blow dryer, flat iron) Protecting your hair at night (satin or silk scarfs, bonnets, pillow cases). Eliminating harmful hair accessories.(medal clips or broken bobby pins).
Increasing Protective styles and Low manipulation styles.
 
Protective styles are styles that tuck away your ends, keep them away so they are not breaking off. (buns, twist, braids)
Low manipulation styles are styles that require little to no manipulation. Meaning you are not doing too much with your hair. ( twist outs, braid outs, wash n gos)
Because now I know I have an afro, I embrace that and I don't feel the need to alter that  I'm a simple girl and I like simple styles.
Two-strand twist updos and buns, are my go to work styles. They usually last the entire work week.
I love wash and gos and twist outs when I'm going out for an event or night on the town.
My go to protective style are Mini Twist. They usually last for 3 weeks. Mini twist are also a go to for me when I want to straighten my hair. The mini twist weigh down my afro and gives the "hang time" you look for in straight hair, so to me, they are a safe alternative.
Understanding proper hair care and proper hair styling is essential in growing long natural Afro hair. 

Comments