It's just Hair!!

 
 
 
 
 
 
As a kid I would see some black girls with long, thick, pretty hair. It was a feeling of envious that would come over me. Why wasn't my hair long, thick and pretty?
The sad fact is my hair was never long, nor thick. No one ever came up to me and said, "You have some pretty hair." My hair was a complete and utter Hot Ass mess.
When I was around 5, for kindergarten, I was blessed enough to get a jerry curl. The double juice edition, follow the drip, fun times.
The curl lasted for only a few years. My hair broke off. Completely trashed with nothing else to do but  chop it off.
With cornrows, braids and pig tails, my hair grew. It still wasn't that long. After my hair was pressed, it barely hit my shoulders. It was some what healthy, minus the heat damage from the hot comb.
High school is of course when all the fun starts. My hair was introduce to the perm, weaves, cuts and dye. Typical high school years.
At the end of those fours years my hair was at an all time low. Chopped and screwed ends. Thinning especially in the crown around. It was over for my hair. I decided no more perms.
Then my hair was damaged and nappy. So like any normal person would do, I just cover it up with weaves. Tons of wigs, micro braids, cork screws, box braids, wigs, micro braids. It never stopped. Take out weave, put more l in. My hair looked like it was growing but it was still breaking off . My hair was shoulder length with my crown area still broken off really really bad.
Something had to give.
I began teaching myself the science of African Hair. I studied my own hair. Got rid of bad hair care habits. The rest is history. Present day my hair is  healthier than I have ever known it to be.
So yes, it is just hair. It is just a hair struggle that I have had for majority of my life. I am just a woman and I deserve to have the hair I want. My blog is based solely on that and touches only on the growth and healthy hair habits for African textured hair.

Comments