Wash Day







Wash day is the most important day of your hair care regiment. Wash day does not have to be an all day task. But if you are someone like me, on a new hair journey to see not only health but tons of length retention, then you probably wouldn't mind dedicating one day a week to pamper your hair. In fact, it is quite ideal.
I use 4 different methods to wash my hair according to the condition of my hair. No matter the method, I always deep condition!
Co Wash
Let's say my hair has been in a protective style all week and I was moisturizing daily but not too heavy. When I do not have products built-up, I can do a co-wash for the week.
Co washing refers to washing your hair with conditioners only. There are several conditioners made specifically for co washing, known as "cleansing conditioners".
To co wash your hair, you could use any conditioner of your choice.
I start with putting my hair 6 sections (braids).  Three in the front, one at the crown and two in the back.
Taking one section at a time I coat the hair with a quarter size amount of condition and rake through with my fingers.
Gently detangling.
I add another quarter size amount of conditioner to the same section. This time I am able to detangle much more with my fingers.
I add a third coat, same amount of conditioner. By this third coat you will be able to guide your fingers through your hair feeling no knots or tangles. The hair is silky and fully coated with conditioner.
I twist the hair up (at this point its easier to twist than braid) and repeat that process for all of the sections and rinse out the conditioner, leaving the twist in your hair.  After the conditioner is rinsed out, apply a deep conditioner.
Shampoo
Shampoos get a bad rap in the natural hair community. While it is true, harsh shampoos strip the hair of its natural oils leaving the hair in an extremely dry state. Shampoos also clean the hair and scalp. You need a clean scalp in order to produce healthy hair. Rather than avoiding shampoos, try to avoid shampoos with harsh detergents like Sulfates. There are tons of sulfate-free shampoos on the shelves. Products we use will build up on our hair over time. That product build up prevents the hair from receiving moisture. So you can try to avoid shampoos to prevent them from drying out your hair, only to end up with product build up that ends up drying out your hair.
Understanding the damage shampoos can cause and understanding the need for shampoos should come hand and hand. While I highly recommend the use of shampoo, I don't recommend shampooing weekly. You could alternate weeks, one week co-wash, next week shampoo.
When shampooing, I start with a hot oil treatment.
The hot oil treatment will also serve as a "pre-poo".  I use the oil to detangle my hair and braid it up in the same 6 sections. I place a plastic cap over my head for 20-25 minutes.
I do a light rinse leaving some of the oil in my hair. Then I apply a quarter size amount of shampoo directly to my scalp. Messaging it all over, then slowly bringing it down toward the end of my braids.
I rinse the shampoo out thoroughly. Much like a chemical, you need all the shampoo out!
For the most part my hair products are natural products I make myself, when using store products I stray away from silicones and sulfates. So for me, that one wash was enough. If you are not as aware of what the products you use have in them, you might want to wash for a second time. Repeating the same steps.
After rinsing out shampoo, I always follow up with an ACV rinse. Taking a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water, applying it all over my hair and scalp. I massage my scalp for a few minutes, then rinse out.
The ACV rinse is beneficial in a ton of ways! However for the sake of shampooing, The ACV rinse neutralize the scalp ph balance and removes residue from the shampoo.
Then I follow up with a deep condition.
Clay wash
When my curls aren't popping as much, my hair looks bland or I feel like my hair just needs some extra TLC, I make it a clay wash day. Clay washing gently cleans the hair and scalp while bringing some intense definition to your natural curl pattern.
I start by mixing the clay with water and an oil of choice until it becomes a paste. I apply the mask on my hair, section by section. I let the clay sit for 25 - 30 mins. I rinse thoroughly, removing all the clay from my hair.
Next an ACV rinse, then follow up with a deep condition.
Bentonite clay is the staple clay for me. I have tried  different brands of clay from my local Indian Bazzare store that I absolutely loved.
Water Rinse
Letting water run down my hair as I take a shower and rubbing my finger tips around my scalp to help loosen up any particles.
I do not use a water rinse on  wash day. It's more of a mid week rinse. When I'm feeling too hot(Florida summers), feel like my hair needs refreshing, or just want to become a pop star in the shower, I water rinse. Nothing feels better.
If wash day was dinner, water rinsing mid week would be a snack and deep conditioning would be The Cake!

Comments