Do You Dye your Hair?

Natuarally my hair is a dirty reddish brown. It is not cute at all with the speckles of gray hair popping out. Gray and Black, I can live with.  However gray and this dirty red brown hair, just doesn't match at all. Needless to say,  I dye my hair.

Q: Isn't dying your hair, adding chemicals to your hair?
A: Yes.

Chemical dye or Box Dye, does pertain chemicals. Much of the products you use in life will contain a form of chemical. The chemical in hair dye can prove to be very damaging, because that chemical will dry out your hair. Afro textured hair is dry gets dry enough on it's own, so it doesn't need any additional help drying out. And I've said this 100 times and I would say it 1000 more, dry hair breaks.
If you choose to dye your hair, make  the same choice to keep up with daily moisturizing to your hair as well.

Chemicals found in hair dye, will not alter your natural hair pattern all the way. Yes, chemical dye can and will alter your hair pattern, not as strong as a chemical relaxer to bring your kinky texture to a bone straight texture, but many have noticed the texture of their hair change due to chemical dyes.

Dying your hair black, is the safest way to dye your hair. Here is why, dying your hair a darker color, adds to your hair. Meaning that dye is attaching to your hair strands  or depositing on top of. When you are dying your hair a lighter color(bleaching), You hair has to be stripped so the lighter color takes on your hair strands. That process imitates a chemical relaxer in that way. For a relaxer your hair is stripped and broken down so the texture remains flat and falls straight. Once your hair is stripped, it is now weaken. Take a piece of toilet tissue. We all know how fragile toilet tissue can be, Now rip that toilet paper vertically going down, then repeat. If you keep ripping that paper over and over, you will notice how thin the paper becomes, and how easily it is broken. That is how the chemicals react with your hair, it strips it away slowly until it becomes lifeless, thin and easily broken? 

I am a Henna girl and have successfully converted my mom into using Henna as well. To me, it is a safe alternative for chemical dye. Henna comes from a flowering plant and has been use as hair dye for over 6,000 years in Ancient Egypt. Now it is used in many countries but most popular in India. I get my Henna dye from my local Indian Bazzarre Store and it is relatively cheap. Henna is known to be dangerous to people with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency and those who are protein sensitive. That is definitely something to consider before using Henna. As with any new product, I would always recommend using a test strip of hair for Henna to see how you will react to the henna before applying it over head.

Personally, I love using Henna. Henna adds a natural sheen to my hair and the properties of  the Henna define my curl pattern much like that of a protein treatment. It leaves my hair a natural black tint, rather than the pitch black tint I would normally see from chemical dye.

How I prepare Henna.

1. Add a packet of henna in a bowl. Much like with my clay mixture, do not use anything medal, only plastic or wood.

2. Add two table spoons of Olive oil (or any oil of your choice)

3. Add Water to mixture slowly, stirring as you go, You want to add enough water to make a paste but not too much to make an actual liquid.

4. Apply to your hair section by section.

5. Apply a plastic cap( some prefer to wrap their hair with plastic) allow Henna to sit and process on your hair for  25-30 minutes.

6. Rinse thoroughly.

Comments