Curls Again




At this point, I have went through my 7 steps from my Hair Care Boot-Camp. What's next??  Wanting  to take a break from twisting my hair, I went to Youtube for some hair style inspiration. After watching 3 back to back videos of the Wash N Go,  I began to miss my own curls and decided to bring those back.

I have tried many ways to do a Wash N Go. Many have failed, while  many  have  succeeded.  What I have come to learn is the best way to achieve a Wash n Go is  to have moisturized hair.  I do not mean simply moisturizing your hair. I am speaking on the overall moisture level of your hair. The more your hair moisture levels increased, the more defined your curls will become. So if you try the Wash N Go and fail, keep trying. The more you try the easier it becomes, not to mention the added moisture you are giving your hair.

In a previous blog,  Return of the Curls,  I went in depth with a Wash N Go routine. Feel free to look back at that blog and compare this routine. When doing Wash N Gos, do not be afraid to change the products you use. Different products will produce different results.










I will be using two products to achieve this Wash N Go.

1. My Leave in Conditioner
2. Eco Styler Gel


I do not just spray the leave-in conditioner in my hair, I work it in with my hands, rubbing it in. I work the product in my hair from the root to the tip. Leaving my hair completely saturated.






I apply the gel to my hair in a very generous manner. Rubbing it down the entire shaft of my hair, including the ends.







Once the section is covered with gel, I take smaller sections to separate my hair. Letting my hair naturally separate as it wants. Rubbing the gel down to hold each individual curl in it's place without frizzing. I do not try to manipulate, or change my natural curl pattern. Instead, I let the gel hold my natural curl pattern in place.






    It takes me 20-25 to shingle my entire head. Do not worry about the white residue, it will disappear  as the hair dries. While the hair is drying, it is important that you do not touch or manipulate the hair at all. Touching and manipulating your hair in any way while wet will only add frizz. A quick way to turn your defined Wash N Go into a frizzy Afro.





       
    Completely dry, you can see the white residue has cleared and my curls are super defined. DO YOU SEE THOSE CURLS???







Day 3 of the same Wash N Go. On this day, I allowed my hair to get a little wet in the shower. Wetting your hair days later, will allow the gel to reactivate. Using on my hands, I raked my hair down to the shape I wanted and did a little side twist. Off to work I go.



After water rinsing every 3 days to reactive my gel, eventually the gel is gone. Instead of redoing my Wash N Go. I apply Wet and Wear Styles. I wet my hair each morning in the shower, moisturize with the LOC method, style and go. Very simple routine,

A man I have the up most respect for. explains it best, Mr. Anthony Dickens. If you haven't heard of him, I will link a video in my comment section. He is amazing and super informative. His method of preserving your wet curl pattern, is to simply apply products or stylers to you hair while it is still wet.

The difference  to me regarding a Wash N Go versus Wet and Wear Styling, is the process of defining your curls. With a Wash N Go, you are typically going for more curl definition. You take your hair curl by curl applying product to achieve such definition.

Were as with the Wet and Wear styling, you are applying product to your Wet hair,  to hold your natural curl pattern, and it is not so much about "defining" your curls. By that definition Wet and Wear styling is more simplistic.

While I love the curl definition from taking my time to do a nice Wash and Go, the simplicity of Wet and Wear styling is priceless. I take a shower daily, apply conditioner to hold my natural curl pattern, add oil or a heavy cream to seal the moisture and then style. This routine takes me any where between 7-10 minutes.

Texture shot before shower versus after shower








Comments